Thursday, May 24, 2007

Goodbye Missouri Tiger

I attended a seminar this week called "What Catholics Really Believe." It's sort of a "refresher course" on Catholicism. It helped me not only reflect on my beliefs and how and why I live my life the way I do, but reminded me, of course, of some childhood memories.

I attended CDC, Youth Group, and Confirmation Classes growing up. I just didn't do the greatest job of paying attention-there always seemed to be a boy I had a crush on or some other distraction. Here are my random memories of Our Lady of Lourdes...

One of the nuns always stood by the door as we left CDC class and said goodbye. If you had somthing written on your shirt like a team name, school, or whatever, she'd always call you by what was written on your shirt. So let's say you were wearing a shirt that said, "Missouri Tigers," she would say, "Goodbye Missouri Tiger." It's weird how kids pick up on certain things or have a certain sense about people. I have no idea why I remember this, but it must be because even as a child, I found it kind of weird. Looking back though, she was just trying to be nice and was trying to relate to the kids.

First Communion-My first Communion pictures are some of my favorites because they crack me up. The group photos include people I'm still friends with today so it's so funny to see us all as little kids together and now meet over most Christmas' at home at a bar. Anyway, my mom made my dress-white eyelet with a little belt made of pale pink, blue, and yellow ribbon. Definately one of the best dresses there-not like some of the bridal like dresses the other girls wore and I did not wear a veil, but did have little barrets made of pink flowers. My grandma gave me a little cross necklace with rubies. I remember it was almost tornado like weather. The church was decorated with banners that we each had to make at home with our parents and I remember the priest being gigantic next to all of the tiny kids. He even joked and spread out his robe and practically hid all of us behind it while parents tried to take pictures. I thought that was so freakin funny at the time. After church, it was celebration lunch time at one of the nicer restaraunts in Columbia at that time-Jack's.

First Reconcilliation-I just remember being very nervous about my sins and confessing them to a Priest. I practiced over and over what I was going to say and how I was going to say it. Oh the sins of a child.

I think I'll skip over the Confirmation and Youth Group days for now-retreats, hanging out, ski trip. Let's just say I probably had more fun during those times than you're supposed to and that our theme song was "Only the Good Die Young."

No comments: