Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Some people just don't understand...



Some people just don't understand my love for mid-century modern...but Nanny and Pa, my grandparents did. I am extremely lucky to have inherited two wonderful pieces from them...and for those who think it's just a chair, I just want to explain that to me it's art...and hey, who doesn't love art?

With the help from a friend I was able to bring one of the chairs back from Missouri to Texas and it now sits in my little living room. The chair is known as a Diamond Chair designed by artist Harry Bertoia. Although I find the history of this designer and chair to be interesting, the best part is that I've known and loved these chairs since I was a child. If you've been over to my place you've already been forced to see the picture of me as a baby with my treasured mid-century modern lamp...well, the chairs are in that picture too! As crazy as it sounds, the chair in my living room is a piece of art to me, but also something that will always remind me of my grandparents, Nanny and Pa...and how I turned out to be the only grandkid who loved the mid-century modern stuff like they did.




3 comments:

Tobi said...

I can't wait to see your redecoration efforts. Do you have any other pictures to share?

You've been to my house and know that my taste couldn't be farther from mid-century modern but I can definitely appreciate it. I've always loved all the decor in your home - I would call my stuff furniture, but yours art for sure!

jessica said...

Thanks Tobi :) I do have some more pictures...we'll see if I end up posting them-I'll do my best.

I actually think ALL furniture is art...no matter the style...some people just look at it as something functional.

I like a variety of styles and like the style of your furniture. I am jealous of those incredible tables by the TV!

My ideal interior design would include a variety of styles/eclectic pieces. I think the most important thing is that (minus the budget) it's comfortable, shows your personality, and makes you happy. I think surrounding yourself in an environment you love can make a big difference in mood, productivity, desire to keep things neat, and so on.

madelyn said...

I can't wait to meet that chair that I've been hearing so much about. I love the style and I am a fan of eclectic pieces too! You have great taste, Jessica.