Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Happiness Project

One of my New Year's Resolution's for 2013 was to finally finish reading "The Happiness Project." Slowly and sporadically, it'll happen. I like a part I read tonight. It is what I need to work on at work as these unfun changes take place and I take on a million new roles. It's also why writing and performing for Mortified is so special to me.
"Act the way I want to feel. If I want to feel happy and lighthearted, I need to act that way-say, by laughing out loud. Laughter is more than just a pleasurable activity. I can boost immunity and lower blood pressure and cortisol levels. It increases people's tolerance for pain. It's a source of social bonding, and it helps to reduce conflicts and cushion social stress within relationships-at work, in marriage, among strangers."

1 comment:

Kate said...

I think of that advice often because I lose my temper and get angry with the kids too much, and too harshly. (It's true.)

So I try sometimes with them to act as though I am having a good time when I'm clearly not, in the hopes that it will get us all back to *actually* having a good time faster than if I were to fly off the handle with anger.

I am not great at it, but I try sometimes. Also, I think it is good advice but must be taken with a grain of salt because there is a fine line between consciously trying to get yourself back to happy, and just not being true to your feelings in the moment. In other words, sometimes anger is appropriate and unavoidable in my opinion.

Another thing I try is: Act the way I would if other people were here. That probably sounds weird to you, but as a stay at home mom, I have realized that I sometimes have outbursts with the kids that I feel are uncontrollable when in reality I know that I would be able to control those outbursts if my friends or sister or whoever were over at the time.

Okay, you probably think I'm a raging lunatic now. Sorry for long comment! The part about laughter is so, so true -- it is really good for you! I wish there were a better supply of new funny movies, b/c movies are such a great escape that can really take me out of my own life and lift my spirits through laughter.