Monday, April 29, 2013

Austin's Moontower Comedy Festival.

I miss it already. This was the 2nd Moontower Festival but my first experience with it. The festival ran Wednesday-Saturday and had big headliners at multiple venues. Some may say too many because turn-out at some of the venues was pretty low, even for big names like Marc Maron. I was lucky enough to earn an Artist Badge by performing Thursday night in Mortified at the Velveeta Room. The badge allowed me to get into all the shows I attended for free! I felt pretty special when I signed in at the Artist Check-in table and my name was between Janeane Garafolo and Jim Gaffigan. I ended up seeing Janeane either performing or hanging out three nights in a row (coincidentally) and I was afraid she was thinking "Single White Female" when I ran into her in her hotel lobby. Needless to say she was very kind when I asked her for a picture.
My personal highlights from the festival:
Anthony Jeselnik
Greg Fitzsimmons' podcast taping with guests Ari Shaffir, Andy Kindler, and Janeane Garafolo. After the show Andy and Greg started chatting it up with us and our friend Greg to the point that bobby had to excuse us because it was getting late. Andy Kindler said, "Why is it always the fans who end up excusing themselves?"
Marc Maron's WTF podcast taping with so many amazing guests: Dom Irrerra, Todd Barry, Janeane Garafolo, Jim Norton, Maria Bamford, and my favorite, Michael Ian Black. The passive aggressive exchange between Maron and him was brilliant.
Jim Gaffigan

I hope Moontower survives for a third year. In the meantime, go out and support live comedy! Please! It's good for everyone.











No comments: